Four homes and/or museums on various sides of Bull Street:
In Wright Square is the handsome County Court House, built in 1889-91.
At opposite corners of [Oglethorpe Av and Bull St] are the Independent Presbyterian Church and the Chatham Academy.
There is a plaque near the church, which reads: "The Independent Presbyterian Church was organized in 1755. The first meeting house stood facing Market Square in Savannah, between what are now St. Julian and Bryan Streets, on property granted by King George II for the use and benefit of those dissenters who were professors of the doctrines of the Church of Scotland agreeable to the Westminster Confession of Faith.
"The original church building erected on the present site was designed by John H. Greene, a gifted Rhode Island architect. In 1819 it was dedicated with impressive services which were attended by President James Monroe. The church was destroyed by fire in 1889.
"The present church building was completed in 1891. The architect, William G. Preston, followed the general plan of the former structure. It is regarded as a notable example of American church architecture."
In [Oglethorpe Ave]., a little to the E., is the interesting Old Burying Ground.
This is now called the Colonial Park Cemetery. It has over 9000 bodies buried there.
In Madison Square is the Jasper Monument, erected in 1879 in honour of Sergeant Jasper, who was killed at Savannah in 1779.
A plaque on his monument reads: "To the heroic memory of / Sergeant William Jasper / who though mortally wounded / rescued the colors of his regiment / in the assault / on the British lines about this city / October 9th 1779 / A century has not dimmed the glory / of the Irish American Soldier / whose last tribute to civil liberty / was his noble life / 1779-1879"
Monterey Square contains the Pulaski Monument, in memory of Count Pulaski, who fell at the siege of Savannah in 1779.
A plaque about the monument reads: "The monument erected in this Square to the memory of General Casimir Pulaski, who fell at Savannah in the cause of American Independence, was completed in 1854. The corner-stone was laid, with impressive ceremonies, October 11, 1853 - the 74th Anniversary of the traditional date of the death of the famous Polish patriot.
"Dr. Richard D. Arnold was Chairman of the Commissioners in charge of the erection of the memorial for which $20,000 was collected by public subscription.
"The designer of the monument, which is of Italian marble, was the eminent Russian-born sculptor, Robert Eberhard Launitz of New York. At the conclusion of his explanation of the elaborate design and its symbolism Mr. Launitz stated:
" 'The monument is surmounted by a statue of Liberty, embracing with her left arm the banner of the Stars and Stripes, while in her right hand is extended the Laurel Wreath. The love of liberty brought Pulaski to America; for love of liberty he fought, and for liberty he lost his life. Thus, I thought that Liberty should crown his monument, and share with him the homage of the free.' "
A plaque nearby is written about Pulaski himself: "The great Polish patriot to whose memory this monument is erected was mortally wounded approximately one-half mile north-west of this spot during the assault of the French and American forces on the British lines around Savannah, October 9, 1779. General Pulaski was struck by a grapeshot as he rode forward with customary ardor. from where his calvary was stationed to rally the disorganized Allied columns. The fatal ball which was removed from his thigh by Dr. James Lynah of South Carolina is in possession of the Georgia Historical Society of Savannah.
"Doubt and uncertainty exists as to where Pulaski died and as to his burial-place. A contemporary Charleston, S. C. newspaper item and other sources indicate that he died aboard a ship bound for that port. It was generally believed that he was buried at sea.
"A tradition persisted, however, that General Pulaski died at Greenwich Plantation near Savannah and that he was buried there. When the monument here was under erection the grave at Greenwich was opened. The remains found there conformed, in the opinion of physicians, to a man of Pulaski's age and stature and were re-interred beneath this memorial in a metallic case in 1854."