February 11th, 2017

Leaf Man

Savannah, Georgia 2017 but looking backwards to 1893

Savannah ('Forest City'), the second city and chief commercial centre of Georgia, lies on the S. bank of the river of the same name, on a bluff 40 ft. above the level of the river and 18 M. from its mouth. It is well built and regularly laid out, and the beautiful semi-tropical vegetation of its numerous parks and squares makes a very pleasing impression.

Savannah was settled in 1733 by Gen. Oglethorpe, the founder of the youngest of the 13 original states, and owes much of its present beauty to the foresight of the plan he laid out. His object was to provide an asylum for the poor of England and the Protestants of all nations. John and Charles Wesley visited the settlement in 1736, and George Whitefield reached it in 1737. In the early troubles between the British and Spanish colonists Oglethorpe and his settlers played a prominent part, penetrating to the walls of St. Augustine. In 1778 Savannah was captured by the British, who repulsed a Franco-American attempt to retake it the following year. The port of Savannah was closed to commerce by the Federal fleet from 1861 to 1865, and Sherman occupied the city in Dec. 1864, at the end of his triumpant 'March through Georgia'. Since the war its progres has been rapid. Savannah contained 5195 inhab. in 1810; 15,312 in 1850; and 30,681 in 1880. -- The first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean started from Savannah in 1819.
Collapse )